Monday, November 24, 2008

Sonobe Christmas Ornament

I never thought that I would figure this ornament out! I tried to follow a tutorial on splitcoast stampers but it was just not getting through my thick skull! My friend, Jeong Soo, is certified in paper folding in Korea so I begged her to help me figure it out. They came over yesterday so that her husband and son could watch a soccer game with Scott and the boys. This gave us the perfect opportunity to try this ornament. She did most of the first ornament and then on the second I did most of it. I was having a difficult time with finishing and getting the last few pieces in a ball shape. After they went home I decided that I better try another one to make sure that I understood it. It took me about 6 hours to complete it! Of course, I decided I should complete another one before bed to really get it in my head. That one went together in about an hour. Woo hoo!

This ornament is made with the Designer Series paper that is a Level 1 hostess gift. It is a little heavy, so the points are a little more open than they would be if I used a thinner paper. I used squares that were 3" x 3". Jeong Soo likes working with paper that is slightly larger so that you have more room to work the pieces in without your fingers getting in the way.

2 comments:

  1. This is great!! YOU did a wonderful job!! I can't even begin to think that I could do this.. I may have to try now.. hm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I think I am going to try to photograph the steps and number or letter the points to make it a little easier than the directions I had. I will try to get that done in the next few days and post on here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! I really appreciate it!